Résumé of Carlos M. Saraiva • User experience design (UX) • ID BA (Hons) (Pret)
(ID) 8107105124080 • (Nationality) South Africa • (Languages) English, Portuguese, Afrikaans •
(Tel) +27731604389 • (Email) Carlos.M.Saraiva@Outlook.com
Download a copy of my PDF Résumé.
I have an Honours Degree from University of Pretoria in Information Design and am experienced in working with digital media on web-based solutions for over 20 years.
My main working experience has been 15 years with Information Technology Solution (Pty) Ltd (ITS). This company provides consulting and IT systems and services to major international Advertising Agencies and Media booking companies. They have over ten major clients locally and four based outside South Africa.
My key role was Web Operations Manager, where I was responsible for building web-based software applications tailored to our clients’ specific needs. Other responsibilities included customer relationship management, marketing to new clients and product demonstrations. I offered front line support for problems that the helpdesk could not resolve. Lastly my services also extended to building and running the ITS (Pty) internal systems as well as design and production of marketing collateral, brand identity, brochures
More recently I started my own business, building web-based offerings. While the opportunity has given me the chance to face new challenges and broaden my horizons, I now am eager to be part of larger team.
My key strength comes from the application of an academic qualification in information
design, combined with extensive IT expertise and work experience. This has enabled me to successfully apply a unique blend of creative and technical skills across all aspects of interaction design and visual communication in the digital space. I understand the need to tackle issues and challenges beyond formal role definitions when required and enjoy seeing them through to resolution.
- I appreciate and value being part of a team
- I’m capable of working independently on solutions
- I actively seek out opportunities to learn and grow new competencies
I do significant community volunteer work. Which provides me with opportunities and experiences in mentoring and personal development, something I enjoy and would like to bring into my formal work environment. I have also undertaken several personal development programs with civil society organisations and youth development programs.
- University of Pretoria. Information Design (Hons) BA. 2001 – 2005. Practical experience with industry professionals. Visual communication, Information Science, Marketing (Distinction in Marketing)
National School of the Arts. Matriculation. 1997 – 1999. Graphic Design (Distinction), Photography
- Torque IT. Microsoft Solution Development. 2000. Web application development in .Net
- Internet Marketing Intensive (Peng Joon). 2015.
- Guerrilla marketing intensive (Alex Mandossian). 2014 – 2015
- Train the Trainer (Blair Singer). 2014 – 2015
- Andy Harrington’s Public Speakers University. June 2015
- Various seminars and conference. Digital Edge Live. Interaction Design Seminar. Design Indaba. Microsoft Dev and Tech events. Discovery Leadership Summit. Discovery Vitality Summit. etc.
Self Employment, 2015/07 – 2019/01
- Web-development, Hosting and Administration: Websites, newsletter,
membership site, e-commerce, webinar technology.
- Freelance Mobile and Web Application design based on human centered behavior and capabilities, and the impact on user experience
- Creative design: Brand identity, product development, digital architecture, artwork and graphic design
Information Technology Solutions, 2005/01 – 2015/07
Project Highlights and Key Clients
- Custom development of a web-based workflow and production systems using Microsoft technologies.
- Development of a cohesive corporate identity in terms of the design of brochures, website, business cards, stationery, templates and social media
- Development of marketing collateral
- Business intelligence reporting for Media owner’s capital expenses.
- Development of a client facing agency portal
- Development of an agency wide intranet and client extra-net
- Hands-on experience defining product from initial concept, sketches and wire-frame, to a design specification document
- Conducting effective surveys and user research to better understand User Needs, and determine insights on attitudes toward system designs
- Design and development of data visualization and business intelligence reports
- Rapidly generating prototypes: UI prototypes, mock-up presentations, wire-frame models, flow diagrams etc.
- System analysis and architecture – preparation of documented technical specifications and diagrams, including database designs
Customer Service Responsibilities
- Last line support, accountable for carrying challenges to final resolution
- Plan, run, and analyze usability tests to help improve user experience, and evaluating design concepts
- Design of training programs and facilitation of training sessions
- Administration of legal compliance such as Sarbanes-Oxly
- Launch internal communication campaigns and marketing initiatives of products releases
- Product implementation, deployment and release management, including definition and documentation of best practices and their application
Marketing and Management
- Part of the sales and marketing campaign team, attracting new business, presenting and demonstration of new products to prospects
- Employee management & supervision – hiring, mentoring and evaluation
- Support of company policy and procedures through the development and implementation of Intranet systems
- Project management: determining scope, tracking activity and status reports on progress
Formal Internships: 2004/10 – 2005/06
Struik Publishing: Print production of marking catalogue
- Design services such as research, conceptualization, layout, typography, image editing
- Preparing proofs for quality checking and presentation for client approval
- Sourcing production suppliers, preparing cost estimates, working within budget
- Identifying possible automation enhancements.
Grey advertising. Internal agency voting system -Ad of the month
- Implementation of web app with high impact on business objectives using simple measures
- Outsourcing and coordinating Adobe flash design and development
- Design and develop back-end SQL commands and Access database
- Site map design incl. responsive design
Contract and Freelance Work: 1996/01 – 2005/01
Information Technology Solutions, Contract, 2000/01 – 2005/01
Development of an continent-wide extra-net web application; Agency software system implementations; and a web-based timesheet application for agencies.
- Assistance with preparation of business proposals to customers
- Preparation of project plans, design and deployment of solution and systems
- Needs analysis of user feedback, conducting system tests, and assessing technical architecture for feasibility
- Customer Service / Production lead, presenting project and system requirements to Designers, Consultants, and outsource Developers
- Lead in resolving technical issues and guiding first line support consultants and help-desk functions
Grey Advertising, freelance, 1996/01 – 2000/01
Projects included the introduction and installation of the internet for over 400 users. I apprenticed for a Creative director creating internet web banners. I did website designs and animation designs for popular name brands. I also worked on Internal agency projects such as the Digital Newsletter and Corporate intranet.
- Professional graphic design services, animation and video production
- Interaction with a range of stakeholders from senior management to end users, gathering a detailed understanding of requirements
- Providing network administration, IT support and technical diagnostic and testing skills